Toggle menu

Older or Disabled People

Rising costs are impacting older people, disabled people and those who care for them. Find out more about the help you're entitled to.

Emergency Energy Payment Assistant Programme

This programme offers help to older and vulnerable people within the region who may be struggling to cover the costs of their home energy payments at this challenging time.

Find out more and see if you're eligible >>

Free warm winter clothes

There are free warm winter clothes events taking place across the region this winter season.

Find out where you can access free warm winter clothes >>

Help with heating costs

Do you need help with the cost of your heating your home? The Hub in Dumfries may be able to help with their help with heating scheme.

Find out more >>

Scottish Welfare Fund Team

The Scottish Welfare Fund Team provides a safety net for vulnerable individuals and families on a low income within our communities. The fund is divided into two areas:

  • Crisis Grants - immediate funds for essential living costs
  • Community Care Grants - provision of household goods to help set up home or maintain a home

Find out more and apply online >>


Are you a student at Dumfries and Galloway College? Did you know they run a free breakfast club and have a student food bank and an emergency student support fund?

Find out more information on the support available >>


Organisations and charities across Dumfries and Galloway have services that can help people with the cost-of-living increases .  Download the free DGLocator mobile app or access its website to easily search services available.

Apple download:
Android download:

or visit:

National support

Adult Disability Payment

Adult Disability Payment is extra money to help you if you have a disability or long-term health condition that affects your everyday life.

Check if you can apply for Adult Disability Payment >>

Age Scotland Helpline

Get free, confidential advice over the phone (0800 12 44 222) for older people, their carers and families in Scotland.

Read more about the Age Scotland Helpline >>

Carer's Allowance Supplement 

Carer's Allowance Supplement is an extra payment to help carers in Scotland who get Carer's Allowance.

Check if you can get Carer's Allowance Supplement >>

Claim Marriage Allowance

Marriage Allowance allows you to transfer 10% (£1,260) of your personal tax allowance to your husband, wife or civil partner if you earn less than the personal tax allowance, which is usually £12,570.

Find out about Marriage Allowance >>

Disability Cost of Living Payment

You may be entitled to a Disability Cost of Living Payment of £150 if you are getting certain benefits.

Find out more and check if you're eligible >>


Disabled persons free bus pass

If you or your child (five-plus) has a disability you may be able to get a free bus pass.

Check if you can get a disabled persons bus pass >>

Extra money available for carers

You could get £76.75 a week if you care for someone for at least 35 hours a week and they get certain benefits. You do not have to be related to, or live with, the person you care for.

Check if you're eligible for the Carer's Allowance >>

Independent Living Transition Fund

If you're aged 15 to 25 with a disability you could apply to the fund for money to take part in new activities or learn a skill.

Find out more about the Independent Living Fund >>

Pension Credit for those on low income

You could get extra money to help with your living costs if you're over State Pension age and on a low income: even if you have savings or own your own home.

Check if you're eligible for Pension Credit >>

Pensioner Cost of Living Payment

If you are entitled to a Winter Fuel Payment for winter 2023 to 2024, you will get an extra £150 or £300 paid with your normal payment from November 2023.

Find out more >>

Older person's free bus pass

If you're aged 60 or over and are a resident in Scotland then you will be eligible for a free bus pass.

Apply for an older persons bus pass >>

Warmer Homes Scotland funding 

If you're a homeowner or a private tenant and meet certain criteria you could qualify for funding to help reduce your energy bills.

Check if you qualify for Warmer Homes Scotland funding >>

Winter fuel payments

If you were born on or before 25 September 1956 you could get between £250 and £600 to help you pay your heating bills.

Check if you're eligible for the Winter Fuel Payment >>

Young Carer Grant

The grant is a yearly payment of £359.65 for young carers in Scotland. You need to be 16, 17 or 18 years old to get it.

Find our more about Young Carer Grant >>

Share this page

Facebook icon Twitter icon email icon


print icon