Toggle menu

Support for Income

Where to get advice and find out what benefits and financial support you may be able to get.

Apply for benefits and financial supports

You can apply for a range of different benefits and financial supports from Dumfries and Galloway Council depending on your personal circumstances.

Find out more >>

Benefit Maximisation Team

Over 60? The Benefit Maximisation Team within Dumfries and Galloway Council provide a bespoke benefit advice service to the residents throughout the area, focusing on the over 60's and their families.

Get in touch to see if the team can help you >>

Council Tax discounts and exemptions

You may be eligible for a discount on your council tax in special circumstances.

Find out more >>

Council Tax Reduction and Housing Benefit

You may be able to get help with your Council Tax and rent if you are on a low income or getting certain benefits.

Find out more >>

Discretionary Housing Payments

You may be entitled to an additional Discretionary Housing Payment if you get Housing Benefit or Universal Credit but still find it hard to pay your rent.

Find out more >>

Dumfries and Galloway Citizens Advice Service

Dumfries and Galloway Citizens Advice Service (D&GCAS) is an independent charity. D&GCAS provides free confidential advice and assistance to the public via its three Citizens Advice Bureaux, which are located in Annan, Dumfries and Stranraer.

Get advice on Benefits >>

Get advice on Debt and Money >>

Scottish Welfare Fund Team

The Scottish Welfare Fund Team provides a safety net for vulnerable individuals and families on a low income within our communities. The fund is divided into two areas:

  • Crisis Grants - immediate funds for essential living costs
  • Community Care Grants - provision of household goods to help set up home or maintain a home

Find out more and apply online >>


Organisations and charities across Dumfries and Galloway have services that can help people with the cost-of-living increases .  Download the free DGLocator mobile app or access its website to easily search services available.

Apple download:
Android download:

or visit:

National Support

Affordable borrowing

You could borrow money from a community lender that may have lower interest rates, if you need a loan.

Find out more about community lenders >>

Benefits calculators

You can use one of these independent benefit calculators to find out:

  • What benefits you could get
  • How to claim
  • How your benefits will be affected if you start work

Entitledto calculator

Turn2us calculator 

Policy in Practice calculator

Best Start Grant and Best Start Foods

You could get payments form Social Security Scotland to help towards the costs of being pregnant or looking after a child.

Check if you can get Best Start Grant or Best Start Foods >>

Budgeting Loan

If you get certain benefits you could get an interest-free loan to pay for things like a washing machine, advance rent or moving house.

Check if you can get a Budgeting Loan >>

Carer's Allowance

You could get £76.75 a week if you care for someone at least 35 hours a week and they get certain benefits.

Check if you can get Carer's Allowance >>

Carer's Allowance Supplement 

Carer's Allowance Supplement is an extra payment to help carers in Scotland who get Carer's Allowance.

Check if you can get Carer's Allowance Supplement >>

Claim Marriage Allowance

Marriage Allowance allows you to transfer 10% of your personal tax allowance to your husband, wife or civil partner if you earn less than the personal tax allowance, which is usually £12,570.

Find out about Marriage Allowance >>

Funeral Support Payment

Funeral Support Payment can help pay for funeral costs. It will not usually cover the full cost of a funeral but can help towards it.

Check who could get Funeral Support Payment >>

Get help with debt

Scottish Government supports different organisations who can give you free debt advice and information. 

Check where you can get help with debt >>

Help to Save

If you get Working Tax Credit or Universal Credit, a Help to Save account could earn you a 50p bonus for every £1 you save.

Find out more about Help to Save >>

Money Talk Team

If you're struggling to make your money last, are worried about your bills or need help managing debt, the Money Talk Team Service can help. You can:

Go to the Money Talk Team website >>
Set up a meeting at your local Citizens Advice Scotland Bureau >>

Pension Credit for those on low income

You could get extra money to help with your living costs if you're over State Pension age and on a low income: even if you have savings or own your own home.

Check if you're eligible for Pension Credit >>

Scottish Child Payment

If you're on a low income, you could get a weekly payment of £20 for every child you look after under six years old.

Check if you can get Scottish Child Payment >>

Universal Credit

You could get Universal Credit if you're on a low income, out of work or cannot work.

Check if you can get Universal Credit >>

Share this page

Facebook icon Twitter icon email icon


print icon