Toggle menu

Help for Households

Find out about support with household costs.

Advice and grant support for private homeowners

Private homeowners are responsible for maintaining and repairing their homes but Dumfries and Galloway Council can offer advice and - in some circumstances - financial support.

Find out more >>

Apply for benefits and financial supports

You can apply for a range of different benefits and financial supports from Dumfries and Galloway Council depending on your personal circumstances.

Find out more >>

Emergency Energy Payment Assistant Programme

This programme offers help to older and vulnerable people within the region who may be struggling to cover the costs of their home energy payments at this challenging time.

Find out more and see if you're eligible >>

Food banks

Food banks are a vital support mechanism in our fight against poverty within Dumfries and Galloway.

There are a number of food banks located throughout the region.  If you are in need then please get in touch with your local food bank for help.

Find a food bank near you >>


Dumfries and Galloway Council no longer has any council houses.

Housing associations are the main providers of new and affordable social housing in Dumfries and Galloway.  There are two ways to apply for a home with a housing association:

Housing and homeless support

Dumfries and Galloway Council has a legal duty to help people who are homeless or at risk of becoming homeless.  If you are homeless or think you might become homeless the Council can arrange temporary or permanent accommodation if circumstances warrant it and by providing support and advice.

Find out more >>

Emergency help

Call 01387 273660 or email outside of office hours if you need urgent help to find somewhere to stay tonight.

Period Dignity Project

Dumfries and Galloway Council provides a range of Free Period Products for collection at public venues and community organisations across our region.

Find out more >>


Are you a student at Dumfries and Galloway College? Did you know they run a free breakfast club and have a student food bank and an emergency student support fund?

Find out more information on the support available >>

Warm Home Discount Scheme

You could get money off your electricity bill for winter.

The money is not paid to you - it's a one-off discount on your electricity bill.  You may be able to get the discount on your gas bill instead if your supplier provides you with both gas and electricity.

Find out more >>

Winter Warmth for Older People Project

Dumfries and Galloway Council is supporting The Hub Dumfries to help it deliver its Winter Warmth for Older People Project. 

This fund can provide free briquettes and kindling during the winter months to older households in fuel poverty who rely on open fires/multi-fuel-burner.

To be eligible you need to be:

  • Over 60 years of age
  • Not in paid work and have no other household member in paid work
  • In receipt of a means-tested benefit or have extenuating circumstances e.g. long term health conditions

Find out more >>


Organisations and charities across Dumfries and Galloway have services that can help people with the cost-of-living increases .  Download the free DGLocator mobile app or access its website to easily search services available.

Apple download:
Android download:

or visit:

National Support

Budgeting Loans

You may be eligible for a Budgeting Loan if you've been on certain benefits for six months. This can be used for household items, rent in advance and travelling costs.

Check if you're eligible for a Budgeting Loan >>

Cheaper phone and broadband

You may be eligible to move onto a social tariff if you're struggling to afford your broadband or phone services.

Check the Ofcom website to see if you can switch to a social tariff >>

Disability Cost of Living Payment

You may be entitled to a Disability Cost of Living Payment of £150 if you are getting certain benefits.

Find out more and check if you're eligible >>

Discretionary Housing Payments

If you are on certain benefits you may be eligible for Discretionary Housing Payments which provide financial support to help with rent or housing costs.

Check if you're eligible for a discretionary housing payment >>

Get help with interest payments on mortgages or loans

If you're a homeowner on qualifying benefits, you might be able to get help towards interest payments on your mortgage or loans you've taken out for certain repairs and improvements to your home.

Check if you're eligible for Support for Mortgage Interest >>

Help to make your home warmer

You could be eligible for energy saving improvements which can make your home warmer and help to reduce your energy bills. Warmer Homes Scotland is funded by the Scottish Government, over 29,000 households have been helped so far.

Find out more >>

Home Energy Scotland funding

Find out how you can make your home more energy efficient to reduce your bills, and what grants you can apply for.

Read more about Home Energy Scotland funding >>

If you cannot pay your energy bill

If you have no gas or electricity or are having problems paying your energy bill there may be help available. 

What you can do if you cannot pay your energy bill >>

Problems with your supplier

If you're having problems with your supplier you can get free, practical advice from

Check what you can do about problems with energy suppliers >>

Tips and advice on saving energy

Home Energy Scotland has tips and advice for quick and easy ways to save energy, lower your bills and reduce your carbon footprint.

Whether you're a homeowner, a private or social renter, a student, or you live with your parents, there are many things you can do.

Find out more on how to save energy >>

Winter Fuel Payment

If you were born on or before 25 September 1956 you could get between £250 and £600 to help you pay your heating bills.

Check if you can get the Winter Fuel Payment >>

Pensioner Cost of Living Payment

If you are entitled to a Winter Fuel Payment for winter 2023 to 2024, you will get an extra £150 or £300 paid with your normal payment from November 2023.

Find out more >>

Warmer Homes Scotland funding 

If you're a homeowner or a private tenant and meet certain criteria you could qualify for funding to help reduce your energy bills.

Check if you qualify for Warmer Homes Scotland funding >>

Universal Credit if you're unemployed or on low income

If you and/or your partner are responsible for paying rent for the home you live in, or if you have a mortgage, Universal Credit may provide help towards the cost. 

Check if you are eligible for Universal Credit >>

Share this page

Facebook icon Twitter icon email icon


print icon